Monday, January 19, 2009

Sketches and Water Confident

My first drawing lesson was when my father handed me mosquito coil box- cap ikan emas, a light yellow box with a picture of goldfish, he taught me how to draw a coconut tree at later stage and few other things around our house. From then on I started to observed ordinary things around me and made them a subject for my painting. The fist drawing competition was back in 1980- pre school...my father and few other relatives gathered and taught me and giving support a day before the BIG day...it was a typical Malay house on stilt with coconut tree and hens and shrubs with paddy field at the back and a small mountain..

It was a big thing for a six years old..but that was not my lucky day...


Sufiya's Bold expression...

Last week when we fetch Sufiya at nursery, she ran towards her abah with her drawing..it looks like a meaningless sketch..at one glance it does look like an abstract painting..she was really proud of her drawing and keep showing it to everybody inside the elevator...I'm proud of her achievement, at her age (she'll be 2 next month), she has started observing a lot of things and copied everything..good and bad...;-)

I guess this must be the feeling when my parents saw me draw..and when they saw the development and passion,..they too started pouring their support by patiently cutting beautiful pictures from newspaper so that I could copy and draw...

-----------
I've wrote few years back that even though my parents house is by the river, we never allowed to swim freely like any other kids..and that make us what we are today (but i've joined swimming class :-P )....





Yesterday was a water confident session for Sufiya at our community centre, the pool was full with kids..some with floaties and what not..my girl was glued to her abah..but after a while she started to enjoy the water..and did try to bend down and let hte water touch her face...

She's happy...and I'm happy too looking at her having a good time

No comments: