Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Love and Bonding

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family”
-Anthony Brandt-


Family is a small community that function with the existence of its member. The form of family are varies depending on local culture, upbringing and geographical location. The real meaning of family is something intangible, some people lives under one roof but they lack the essence, some are separated by continents but their bonding are so strong compared to the one that see each other every single day.

Since I have my own small family now, I realised my things that I neglected before in my younger years, those were the years of adventure seeking.

Living apart from our loves one might be easy peasy for some but for certain people it is unbearable.

My father in law came to Malaya at tender age, not even twelve yet. There was not much choice at that time, as we all know it is always hardship that makes people move out from one place to another. He left his brother and sister who are his only family at that time, and came to Penang to find something that could change his life and his family's fate.

He was brought here by a kind soul that was known to his family, so after a long journey from Kolkata he finally arrived at this land with hope and promises. I can't imagine what was in his mind at that time, a small child who was supposed to be guarded and cherish with loves and care living alone in a foreign land with foreign culture and language. Or maybe it was the hardship that changed a small boy into man at that time. Or maybe loves means sacrifice and leaving your love one was the best option.

I think he really work hard all those year and his families are always in his mind, even though he have a family of his own now, those in Kolkata are always in his heart, long distance calls are his medicine and so does some photographs of the growing and extending family.

When I was in Johore for five years, the worst part was when I fell sick..even a minor one, I just wished that I was surrounded by people closed to me. It was hard..and when my father in law who I call 'Mama' was diagnosed with kidney stone symptom, I think he will miss his faraway brother and others back in Kolkata even more. He told me that he was scared to go through the procedure...

I've been to his village in Kolkata once back in August 2005 (we celebrated Merdeka day in India :-) and it was all a different sight, a new world that is totally different from the one in Bollywoodland. Some houses stood just the same as he left for Malaya..the family are growing but everybody have to squeeze in to live in a small space for as long as they can remember or when fate change their life.


Hj.Mohossain Molla (middle) with his brother ,Bhod Babu(far left)in Kolkata

And this Ramadhan, with the sickness and old age I think the feeling and longing are much deeper...



Yesterday while watching Om Shanti Om, during this scene where Shah Rukh Khan and Kiron Kher appeared..my daughter said '*Dadi'...Ohh that was sweet..the bonding is there...(*Dadi means grandma in Benggali)

This post is kind of anniversary post for that meaningful trip to Kolkata 4 years ago.

I wonder how is it like having Iftar in Kolkata....?

2 comments:

Queen Of The House said...

Sue, I think it will be a treat for your Mama' if he can go visit his relatives in Kolkata during Ramadhan :) I can't imagine how he must have felt all those years ago as a young boy alone in a foreign land. The scarifice was indeed a big one.

sue said...

Salam QOTH,
Lamanya menyepi dr blogsphere :-)

Hows ur cupcake biz..?

In lives we make a lot of sacrifice to achieve our dream, but some people will have a bigger hurdle to cross over.

have a great week ahead..and happy baking :-)